RETURN to Sonycine.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore cinematography and making the most of your gear.

Path of the Panther - National Geographic / Disney+ - SHOT ON SONY!

Danny_Schmidt

Hey All --

Thought I'd share a new feature doc that I had the pleasure of DP'ing that debuts soon on Disney+.  It's called Path of the Panther and it's close to my heart.  We worked for nearly 5 years to get this film across the finish line and I am so psyched to finally share it.  You can watch the trailer below.

Drawn in by the haunting specter of the Florida panther, National Geographic Explorer Carlton Ward Jr. and a coalition of biologists, ranchers, conservationists, and Indigenous Peoples find themselves on the front lines of an accelerating battle between forces of renewal and destruction that have pushed the Everglades to the brink of ecological collapse. This odyssey of hope and heartbreak is the culmination of more than five years of field research, 500,000 still images, and over 800 hours of ultra high definition camera trap footage. Against all odds, wild panthers have been stunningly captured in their native ecosystem, as they've never been filmed before. The film is the cornerstone of the ‘Path of the Panther' project, supported by the National Geographic Society and many other partners that inspired the passage of the Florida Wildlife Corridor Act – the first legislation of its kind and a blueprint for addressing habitat fragmentation and species extinction across the globe.

This film was shot largely with the Sony FS7 using a variety of Sigma primes and Canon L-series zooms.  The (stunning) camera trap footage was all shot on Sony mirrorless cameras (A7R and A7S variations).  There are some RED and Phantom VEO clips sprinkled throughout, as well as some drone aerials from the Inspire 2.  

This film is part of a larger campaign to not only save the Florida panther, but to preserve what's left of wild Florida for years to come.  

I'd love to hear what you think!  Feel free to drop your feedback/questions/etc below and we can chat.  

Thanks!

• Like 2

Hey Danny, it looks absolutely fantastic.  Some amazing shots of critters in that trailer that I know are very hard to find. Nice work.  Unfortunately, I don't have Disney+, so please let us know if it is ever available on a different platform.

@DougJensen Thank you!  I know you appreciate wild Florida as much as I do.  It should also be broadcast on National Geographic Channel eventually as well as Disney+.  I'll keep posted when I know more.

@DougJensen Thank you!  I know you appreciate wild Florida as much as I do.  It should also be broadcast on National Geographic Channel eventually as well as Disney+.  I'll keep posted when I know more.

Yes, please do let us know. I am very interested in seeing the full show, just not enough to sign up for Disney streaming.  🙂

• Like 1