RETURN to Sonycine.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore cinematography and making the most of your gear.

Yellowstone and Grand Teton 4K stock footage (FX6 and Z750)

DougJensen

Seems like this is the season for posting footage from Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks! 🙂 

This is a highlights video of  some 4K stock footage I was lucky enough to capture during a week-long visit to the two parks.  I brought two cameras with me on the trip:  My FX6 and Z750.  Most of the time I ended up shooting with the FX6 because it can capture 4K @ 120 fps, while the Z750 tops out at only 60 fps.  I'll admit that I'm sucker for slow-mo wildlife . . . the slower the better! 

The FX6 also has the advantage of being smaller, lighter, and can be used with a lighter-weight tripod -- which really makes a difference when you have to carry your gear into the woods without a sherpa or an assistant.

This turned out to be one of my most productive and fun trips to Yellowstone.  I am already looking forward to my next visit, especially since firmware V2.0 added Picture Cache and subject-tracking auto-focus to the FX6.  Those are two HUGE advancements for the FX6 that any wildlife or sports shooter will appreciate. 

I was lucky enough to have the elk footage from this trip featured on the CBS News Sunday Morning show's "moment of nature" segment at the end of last Sunday's broadcast. 

If you haven't been to Yellowstone before, you've gotta go!

Camera 1:  Sony FX6

Lenses: Sony 200-600mm f/5.6; Sony 2x teleconverter; Sony 35mm f/1.8; Sony 85mm f/1.8

Tripod: Sachtler Aktiv8 head with Flowtech75 legs

Camera 2: Sony PXW-Z750

Lens: Fujinon UA24x7.8

Tripod: OConnor 1040 head with Flowtech100 legs

Here is a longer 35-minute version of the video:

• Like 1

Hi Julien, thank you for the compliments.  It's virtually impossible for a small stock footage producer to compete with the big agencies.  The cost of customer acquisition is quite expensive and would quickly eat up any profits, not to mention the cost and hassle of building and maintaining an e-commerce website.  It is much more advantageous to focus on content creation, join the big agencies as a contributor, and let them deal with that end of the business.  Although there are quite a few "wannabe" boutique agencies out there, in my opinion, the only three worth bothering with are Shutterstock, Adobe Stock, and Pond5.  In that order.

Stock is a great way to create a nice passive income that brings in a steady stream of revenue 24/7 whether you are working or not.  Plus, I really enjoy shooting stock as a leisure activity so the income that it brings in is just icing on the cake.

• Like 1