RETURN to Sonycine.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore cinematography and making the most of your gear.

FX9, FX6, and FX3. It's really nice to have them all.

julienjarry

Folks ask me all the time what are your thoughts on the FX9 and the FX6 and a really good way of putting it is the truth - it's really nice to have them both. 

In short, (for me) the FX9 shines on larger sets that demand more from the camera. It has more outputs, it's physically larger making it easier to mount wireless systems and fly on a steady-cam, it's 6K sensor feels like it has a touch more resolution, it's locking mount is wonderful, and the list goes on and on.

For me, the FX6 shines in Peru, in the mountains, and on my hip but it also can sit right next to the FX9 on set. I'm heading to Peru this week to shoot a feature doc on FX6 and FX3, that's why I mentioned Peru but I'll get to that. 

Sometimes the 4000 ISO on the FX9 is what comes in clutch, sometimes the 12,800 ISO on the FX6 is the only way you could ever capture the shot. Sometimes it's really nice to have a larger camera (the FX9) that fits perfectly on the shoulder without any needed accessories and sometimes you want to fly a smaller camera (the FX6) without a care in the world. There's a ton I can say about comparing the two and we can talk about it in the comments.

I just ordered an FX3 today, for Peru. The recent firmware update that allows LUTS to be loaded into the camera brought it where it needed to be to adopt and put on my sets. You see, I do a ton of 2-3 and even 4 camera + shoots and monitoring matching luts downstream is a must. I'm excited to put the FX3 to work.

19iF16270F17ACD97AE.thumb.jpg.01abb265a1ac64b253260de59f7fcc41.jpg

• Like 4

That's exciting. How long are you shooting in Peru? And what's your preferred method to media manage all the footage from all the cameras while you'll be out there?

Hey @IamOakley - we should be shooting in Peru for 5-7 days. Simple dump of cards on a Samsung T7 SSD and we're good to go. We shouldn't have to shoot more than one card per camera per day.

• Like 1

Hey @IamOakley - we should be shooting in Peru for 5-7 days. Simple dump of cards on a Samsung T7 SSD and we're good to go. We shouldn't have to shoot more than one card per camera per day.

I hope you are following proper protocol and making at least 3 copies of your footage when you’re on the road.  I already had a nearly new Samsung T7 give me problems.  Fortunately I don’t use it for backups.  I will never trust it. 

• Like 1

I hope you are following proper protocol and making at least 3 copies of your footage when you’re on the road.  I already had a nearly new Samsung T7 give me problems.  Fortunately I don’t use it for backups.  I will never trust it. 

Yea, great reminder. I use 2x T7 and usually don't format the cards until days or weeks later.

• Like 1