RETURN to Sonycine.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore cinematography and making the most of your gear.

FX3 Feature Request: 3:2 Open Gate recording

govision

Once on Sony Cine Facebook page, I asked where I could submit feature requests. They’ve told me to come here, so here I am.

The latest FX3 firmware update, 3.0.0, brought some very welcomed additions to the camera, and certainly we are very grateful for that.

But thinking already in a possible future update, I really would appreciate to see Open Gate recording, at least at true 24fps, but hopefully even more fps choices if possible. This would allow to capture that extra vertical content, specially when using anamorphics. For me, this is the biggest missing feature now on the FX3. Open Gate.

This is something that the Lumix S5 II have it, and I think if Sony could bring that to the FX3, and other cameras, it would make many of us extremely happy.

On the topic of anamorphics, would be nice to see more de-squeeze options besides the 1.3x and 2.0x recently added on firmware 3.0.0. Options like 1.5x, 1.6x, and 1.8x would certainly help.

Another feature wish for the FX3 is variable shutter. This can help in situations where flickering is happening. Very useful for wedding and event videographers.

Option to enable shutter angle for those who really need it, and False Color, and/or EL Zone. Those are also very good features to be added if possible. I certainly was very happy when Sigma added EL Zone and False Color to my Sigma fp in their latest firmware, and I would highly appreciate it on my FX3 as well.

Guess this is all that I could wish for, with Open Gate on top of my list.

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect there are 2 issues:

Can the sensors actually be read at 3:2 or 6:5 video frame rates without overheating or other issues and do the processing paths have sufficient bandwidth.

Then the other possibly bigger issue is how do you record it? There is no codec in these cameras that can do anything other than 16:9 or 17:9 and the codec is a hardware chip that likely has very limited upgrade options.

Hopefully this is something that will be included in the next generation.

On 4/26/2023 at 3:51 PM, alisterchapman said:

I suspect there are 2 issues:

Can the sensors actually be read at 3:2 or 6:5 video frame rates without overheating or other issues and do the processing paths have sufficient bandwidth.

Then the other possibly bigger issue is how do you record it? There is no codec in these cameras that can do anything other than 16:9 or 17:9 and the codec is a hardware chip that likely has very limited upgrade options.

Hopefully this is something that will be included in the next generation.

Dearest Mr. Chapman, thanks for the reply.

I sure don’t know exactly what kind of chips Sony does use in their cameras, but can’t let it slide that competition is catching up. I’m mostly impressed by Panasonic, and what they are managing to do. Nikon and Canon as well, managing to record some sort of RAW internally in their cameras.

As a Sony user, I just hope they can improve their recently released cameras, and give my 2 cents on what features I’d like to see, if possible on my FX3, if not, on some future camera.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...