RETURN to Sonycine.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore cinematography and making the most of your gear.

Is the FX6 the world's best camera for Wildlife Cinematography?

DougJensen
Go to solution Solved by DougJensen,

Here are the reasons that I think the FX6 is the best camera ever made for filming wildlife:

• 4K XAVC-I codecs.
  • Touch-tracking auto-focus.
  • Slow-motion @ 120 fps.
  • Up to 30 seconds of Picture Cache.
  • The ability to use Picture Cache and Slow-motion simultaneously (the only Sony camera to offer that functionality).
  • Dual ISO Sensitivity.
  • Variable ND for perfect exposure.
  • Slow-motion, Dual Sensitivity, and Picture Cache can all be turned on/off instantly with one button push.
  • Ability to record on ordinary SDXC cards.

There are no other cameras that offer all these advanced features.  If you think there is a better camera for wildlife, what is it?

• 3 months later...

Your video looks great!

I am starting to shoot some wildlife video along with stills.  I use my A1 for both since I don't want to carry two cameras.  What am a losing compared to the FX-6 for video?  I can see that the variable ND would be nice to have since I sometimes have more DOF than a I want when I stop down in bright light.  What is Picture Cache?

• Solution
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the compliment on the footage.

In my opinion, the FX6 is a far superior camera to the A1 for wildlife video (I own both cameras).  As you mention, the electronic Variable ND is one reason, but there are many others, including better ergonomics, better monitoring options, touch-screen AF, multiple Assign Buttons for instantly changing settings and modes on-the-fly, better battery system, ability to record 120 fps 4K on regular SD cards, better peaking and zebras, better compatibility with Catalyst Browse, and of course, Picture Cache.  Picture Cache is basically an endlessly looping buffer that allows you to record stuff that happened up to 30 second prior to deciding to hit the record button.

The A1 is a fine camera with excellent picture quality, but it's main advantage is size and weight.  Nothing else I can think of that would make me choose the A1 over the FX6 for wildlife video.

This video I recorded a couple of years ago explains Picture Cache better than I can here.

Edited by DougJensen

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply.  You make a number of good points about the video advantages of the FX6, and your description of the Picture Cache is excellent.  Picture Cache is an important advantage and is similar to the Pre-capture in stills photography.  I wish the A1 had pre-capture, but I am hoping the A1II will add that capability, and maybe Picture Cache too.  I am still stuck with the problem of needing a single camera for both stills and video, since I cannot carry that two setups when I am hiking.  That means I need to compromise on video and the A1 still looks like the best compromise.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, dclark said:

That means I need to compromise on video and the A1 still looks like the best compromise.

I don't disagree with that conclusion.  When I need to be ultra-portable I also choose the A1 for video even though it means a lot of compromises compared to my FX6.

Next summer I'm doing a 3-month road trip to Alaska where I need to be able to shoot stills and video.  So, the A1 is coming with me for sure, but I'm still debating whether or not to also bring the FX6.  In the coming months, I intend on forcing myself to shoot more video with A1 to see if I can be satisfied with leaving the FX6 home or not.  Yes, the A1 has compromises, but if I can live with those compromises it will sure cut down on the amount of gear I have to lug around.  But on the other hand, if I miss a few good stock footage shots that might pay for the entire trip -- because I didn't bring the FX6 -- I'll be kicking myself for a long time.

Edited by DougJensen