RETURN to Sonycine.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore cinematography and making the most of your gear.

Matching WB between FX6 and FX3

John_B

Has anyone else run into this issue where it's hard to match WB between these two cameras?  

I've reset both cameras to make sure there isn't some kind of color/look settings that are messing this up. 

I've done matching lens, etc.  and if you just dial in a temp like 4400 - they look markedly different. 

The only way I can get them to match closely is to do a "set WB" on a white/gray card.  Is that normal?  

Thanks in advance! 

JB

22 hours ago, John_B said:

The only way I can get them to match closely is to do a "set WB" on a white/gray card.  Is that normal? 

Absolutely normal.  You shouldn't expect to dial in random numbers on any two different models of camera and expect them to match.  Manual white balance on a white card or other suitable target is the right way to do it. Always has been, and always will be.  The numbers shown onboard the cameras are just meant to be a rough approximation and do not represent the precise color setting.  Plus, and this is very important to understand, dialing in a random WB number only changes the warm/cool axis of the color balance and does not address the equally important magenta/green axis.  However, when you manually white balance on a white card or other target, both the warm/cool and magenta/green are automatically adjusted for you.  It is always faster, easier, and more fool proof than dialing in a random number you THINK is correct.  Let the cameras do the work for you.